The Victorian Government released its first Open Data Policy in 2012.
The DataVic Access Policy is administered by the Department of Treasury and Finance to support the release of Victorian government owned or generated data.
Data is accessible on the DataVic website, at no or minimal cost, and is being progressively released in machine-readable formats to maximise use and reuse, and to minimise access costs.
Enabling access to primary data is expected to stimulate economic activity and innovation, increase productivity and decision making, improve research outcomes, and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of government by encouraging better management practices and use of the data, according to the policy document.
The DataVic Policy identifies five principles governing the release of data:
- Data will be made available unless access is restricted for reasons of privacy, public safety, security and law enforcement, public health, and compliance with the law.
- Data will be made available under flexible licences.
- Government data will be made available at no or minimal cost, with limited exceptions
- Data will be easily accessible, and in formats that promote reuse.
- Government will follow standards and guidelines relating to release of data and agency accountability for that release
Data available on DataVic is licenced under Creative Commons 3.0 Australia.
Read the DataVic Access Policy.
Access more information on the Department of Treasury and Finance website.
Access Victorian Government data on DataVic.
Read the DataVic Access Policy Standards and Guidelines.