Barcelona’s Smart City Strategy describes technology as “an enabler for the city” which aims to create a sustainable, productive and connected city with zero emissions.
The Smart City Barcelona initiative was launched in 2012, aggregating 122 smart city projects across all areas of city operations.
The Strategy details ten main projects:
- New Telecommunications Network
- Urban Platform (CityOS, Barcelona Sensors Platform)
- Intelligent data (Open Data, iCity, Situation Room)
- Municipal WiFi
- Remote irrigation management
- Master street lighting plan
- Self-sufficient islands (energy)
- Promotion of electric vehicles
- Orthogonal Bus Network
- Urban Transformation
- Barcelona pocket (deployment of contactless payment technology mobile apps)
- European Union projects
Barcelona is Spain’s second largest city, and has a population of 1.6million.
Read the Barcelona Smart City Strategy.